Be a part of the beginning team to build and operate this multi-generational asset that is the heart and soul of Red Lake now and into the future.
Reporting to the Mine General Manager the successful candidate is responsible for the oversight the geology on site including working with geotechnical engineers on mine design, ground control and production scheduling. The Chief Geologist will work with the senior management team in determining the overall strategy for the mine and manage the geology team. This position will lead the safety culture and support achievement in production targets. The Chief Geologist will work five days on and two days off.
The focus of this role will include:
- Ensure underground mining activities are conducted in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (Ontario) and Regulations and environmental standards
- Comply with all safety requirements and observes all company policies and procedures
- Develop and execute overall strategy for geology based on input from other departments and personnel
- Set geology budget using information from the overall mine budget and business plan targets
- Responsible for annual reconciliation of the mine reserves and resources
- Managing the mine exploration program and budget
- Build a team through recruitment and development
- Provide clear work objectives and expectations of the performance levels required to achieve business plans and production targets through conducting performance reviews, and providing feedback and coaching to direct reports
- Ensure that training is provided in accordance with the current and future needs of the mine
- Promote and maintain a high performance culture
- Manage consultants and contractors on geology projects
- Adopt new and innovative products, techniques and procedures to increase the value of the operation
- Ensure designs and applications meet or exceed regulatory and company policies and procedures
- Act as the expert within the site on geology processes and practices
- Identify options and implement actions to adopt best practices for geology
- Other duties as may be required
Skills and Experience:
- University degree in geology or geological engineering
- Eligible for registration as a professional geologist in Ontario (APGO)
- Supervisory common core
- 8-12 years of mine operation and senior mine geology experience
- 5 years’ experience in a leadership role
- Working knowledge of the Ontario Mining Act as it relates to mine operations
- Instil a “team” approach in working with all departments
- Exceptional problem solving and decision making skills as well as superior written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal, influencing and analytical skills
Madsen Red Lake Mine is an equal opportunity employer who appreciates all those interested in working on this exciting project. Please apply by sending your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org - those short-listed will be contacted. Please reference Job Number PGM19-0031 and the job title.
This posting closes on December 11, 2019.