Be a part of the beginning team to build and operate this multi-generational asset that is the heart and soul of Red Lake now and into the future.
Reporting to the Mine General Manager the successful candidate is responsible for the oversight the production of mine designs and plans and to measure the performance and effectiveness of existing designs and systems. The Chief Engineer will work with the senior management team in determining the overall strategy for the mine and manage the engineering team. This position will lead the safety culture and support achievement in production targets.
The focus of this role will include:
- Ensure underground mining activities are conducted in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (Ontario) and Regulations and environmental standards
- Comply with all safety requirements and observes all company policies and procedures
- Develop and execute overall strategy for engineering based on input from other departments and personnel.
- Set engineering budget using information from the overall mine budget and business plan targets.
- Complete and review mine planning and mine design to increase value to operation.
- Optimize grade control and minimize dilution through mine designs and mine plans.
- Provide guidance to operating departments to maximize production, plan their activities and accurately measure key mining parameters.
- Build an appropriate team through recruitment and development.
- Provide clear work objectives and expectations of the performance levels required to achieve business plans and production targets.
- Ensure that training is provided in accordance with the current and future needs of the mine.
- Ensure the required manpower and equipment are in place to achieve planned production, while meeting planned costs.
- Manage performance by setting expectations, conducting performance reviews, and providing feedback and coaching to direct reports.
- Promote and maintain a high performance culture.
- Manage consultants and contractors on engineering projects.
- Establish production targets and monitor their achievement and correct or address issues as they arise.
- Adopt new and innovative products, techniques and procedures to increase the value of the operation.
- Ensure designs and applications meet or exceed regulatory and company policies and procedures.
- Coordinate activities between various engineering disciplines and other departments to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Provide advice to the MGM regarding the development and implementation of the overall engineering budget.
- Act as the expert within the site on engineering processes and practices.
- Identify options and implement actions to adopt best practices for engineering.
- Other duties as may be required
Skills and Experience:
- University degree in mining engineering or equivalent engineering degreee
- Eligible for registration as a professional engineer in Ontario
- Supervisory common core.
- 8-12 years of mine operation and engineering experience
- 5 years’ experience in a leadership role
- Working knowledge of the Ontario Mining Act as it relates to mine operations
- Instill a “team” approach in working with other operating departments
- Exceptional problem solving and decision making skills as well as superior written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal, influencing, analytical and problem solving skills
Madsen Red Lake Mine is an equal opportunity employer who appreciates all those interested in working on this exciting project.
Please apply by sending your resume to email@example.com - those short-listed will be contacted. Please reference Job Number PGM19-0018 and the job title.
This posting closes on October 7, 2019.